Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: looking for equivalent tool in Ubuntu (currently leaving Windows)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: looking for equivalent tool in Ubuntu (currently leaving Windows)

Quote Originally Posted by marklopez9 View Post
    Yes, I plan on actively doing something because I am working on leaving Windows, which means I will be playing with it a lot and most likely break a lot of things along the way. When I do end up breaking something, I'd like to know if there's a utility which can automatically fix it for me so that will be my first go-to solution. I don't really mind researching for a fix when something breaks, but if there's a faster way to reverse any "oops" moment, I'd like to know what it is.
    Fiddling with things that you don't understand, and having misaligned intuitions from being conditioned to do things the Windows way, are stages that many users go through, and they do have the potential to break things. Many users here have already passed through that phase.

The potentially-breaking changes that you're going to make, though, are to text files. It's trivial to make a copy of them before you fiddle. When things ultimately go pear-shaped, it's a matter of moments to move it back even if you only have a command line or, in really dire circumstances, a live USB to work from, and your machine is magically repaired.

Failing that, a reinstall-and-restore-from-backups takes about 20 minutes.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

Beans

If you are actually looking to use Linux and stay with packages in the Ubuntu repositories you should not have any major problems. Depending on the issues you encounter there are lots of tools in Linux to find and fix things, depending on the issue.
    I'd suggest diving in and if possible dedicate a computer to Ubuntu and work your way off Windows. I think you'll find Linux has more and better tools than Windows and Linux lets you know what is happening far better that windows. When you have a problem come back here and report the symptoms people are generally very helpful.
    Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; September 28th, 2020 at 04:49 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by marklopez9 View Post
    Yes, I plan on actively doing something because I am working on leaving Windows, which means I will be playing with it a lot and most likely break a lot of things along the way.
    For at least the first year or two, you don't want to play with any files that you cannot access as an ordinary user except maybe for configuration files. As CatKiller says, make a backup copy of any file you want to change. Ordinary users can access their home directories and /tmp. That's it. There are no other "user-modifiable parts."

The usual refrain applies here: Linux is not Windows.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12